We have news of a world record attempt!
Not content with tons of running, sand and mud, Derri Evans and Megan Davies have joined forces to jump into the record books. Derri takes up the story…
“I want to let you know about a new challenge that me and Megan are joining forces to raise money for Medical Detection Dogs. It is one of my ex-colleagues at Aviva who is running it in memory of his mum who lost her battle with cancer. Please see my JustGiving page (I am sure Megan will send her page through once she sets it up – update: here it is).
We promise everyone at Bertrams that if they help us raise the money* then we will share our videos from the jump with you all – so you can all have a good laugh at us being petrified. :)
Also if anyone else at Smiths News is interested in doing the jump then they can get themselves signed up to take part in this once in a lifetime event – we want to spread the word and get as many people signed up as possible.”
Here’s some further details from Simon McKinna, who’s organising the attempt.
Guinness World Record Attempt
- Most tandem skydives in one day (standing record is 251)
- Friday June 20th 2014. UK Parachuting, Beccles Airfield, Suffolk.
- A golden chance to tick off 2 ‘bucket list’ items in one go:
- Complete a tandem skydive, jumping at 13,000 feet and getting a full minute of terminal velocity freefall, before a graceful 5 minute descent to earth
- If we complete 252 (or more!) jumps on the day, then you are a bone fide team world record holder…in the big book!
Fancy it? Then it’s time to start fundraising!
This is part of my yearlong fundraising, supporting Medical Detection Dogs, to honour the passing of my mum who we lost to cancer. This incredible charity tactically trains dogs to sniff out bad things in humans, such as cancer – Strategically their focus is to develop an ‘E-Sniff’ actually understanding what it is that dogs can smell to identify the bad stuff…
Each person will be required to raise £280, this covers the jump, insurance, your personalised record breaker jump number T-Shirt and a £100 donation to the charity (it also buys you an incredible memory for life and much kudos for becoming a ‘record breaker’)
Please give Derri or Megan at Bertrams a shout if you are interested and/or want to know more…A £50 deposit by the end of March secures your place on Team Med-Dog! Pay your deposit here [the link takes you to the UK Parachuting website page specifically set up for this attempt - Ed].
Here are the Parapups JustGiving / Virgin Money team pages that you can link to when you set your donation page up, so there’s a team view…please, please, please remember to select medical detection dogs as your charity And here’s the Facebook team page :)
* = I’m sure Derri and Megan won’t mind donations from other parts of Smiths News as well as Bertrams. We’ll be donating £20 for starters – looking forward to seeing the videos too. NB we do have the facilities to show them on Community Link-Up – hint, hint ;)